I used to work in a library so I should know not to keep books longer than promised. Sorry… here is the Phase I book.
And below are the panels from our final presentation of the year with some explanations.
Our thesis, based on the initial material experiments, focuses on the forces that shape urban and architectural space. These forces are used to displace and redistribute mass along lines of movement. The crack is understood as a potential generator of urban pattern that incorporates material and environmental factors. We attempt to create a parametric model that uses a fitness criteria between the built mass and urban flows. Using the brief of infrastructural flows at multiple scales we aim to integrate the multiple levels circulation that are currently independently organized. Our system explores ways of finding variable solutions to negotiate mass and flows by producing a high degree of connectivity and differentiation. The site links a transit center with commercial, residential, and park areas through paths, which define both the solid and void relationships. The resulting proto-optimized spaces endorse the spontaneous activities that promote the social interactivity that characterizes the vibrant Brazilian culture.
These are our intiial studies of how to create patterns using the voronoi algorithm. We looked at how different point distributions create varying patterns and then how we can modify these patterns based on iterations of the vornoi cell centroid or how to create greater density based on the cell vertexes. We also looked at how aligning points (first in 2-dimensions, then in 3) can create landscape conditions. This was an attempt to look at how the vornoi could create the “material” which we could crack.
These studies looked at one of our thesis propositions: that the forces in cracking create non-linear routes. The script takes a starting and ending point and connects them through the shortest path that does not cross any voronoi cell. We also studied how different speeds and flows navigate these non-linear paths to see what size of path is necessary for different types of flow.
Working with the voronoi cells themselves we tried to create differentiation through solid void relationships, certain structural logics, and cell displacement. These were aimed at creating a repertoire of formal and spatial logic that we could apply at the urban and architectural scales.
These are the first urban studies and architectural prototypes we attempted. The architectural model focused on how to integrate the building into landscape and the porosity and structural logic of the skin. WE also studied possible sectional relationships and continuous spaces and surfaces.
Our final site proposal combined the site voronoi method with information based on density and verticle offsetting of hte points. A more complete description of the process is in the book. The outcome unfortunately is a bit too chaotic, this was pointed out repetedly in our final review (a transcript of which is also in the book).
The architectural prototypes were problematic. We probably moved to quickly into this scale and did not quite know how to deal with the vornoi cells correctly. (Click on the images to see the larger versions)
From this we have moved on quite a bit. After taking the summer to review what we had done in the spring we have taken a new direction which we hope deals beter with the complexity of the system and the site to create a more ordered and differentiate solution. More on that later…